Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Mother's Day Realization

I have always considered Easter and Mothers' Day as world's apart. I've always leaned toward a minimalist approach to Mothers' Day. Personally, I would be fine without any special recognition of mothers during the service. (Not to mimize the importance of mothers!) Now I'm questioning that.

Of course, Easter and Mothers' Day are world's apart in terms of theological significance, but today I realized this: At least as many people were in attendance this morning at my church as on Easter Sunday...maybe more. Family members came for "mom's sake" eventhough it wasn't Easter or Christmas!

So, this has made me question my minimalist approach to Mothers' Day. What if a little extra attention went into this holiday observance during the service? What if our members, knowing mothers would be honored in a special way, made extra effort to invite (insist on) their family? What if just as much prayer went into this service as Easter?

This is something to consider. While the significance of Mothers Day may not hold a candle to the signficance of Resurrection Sunday, what God is doing providentially in the lives of people may be exactly the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment