Sunday, April 19, 2009

How was church Sunday?

It is common for a friend to ask, "How was church on Sunday?" That's a loaded question for a pastor, but no one is expecting a full report. Something like, "It was a good morning," or "It was an encouraging service," usually does just fine.

Here is a snap-shot of church this past Sunday morning followed by my evaluation.

It was raining and windy when I arrived at church at 9:00am. My first thoughts were, "I hope the weather doesn't keep anyone from coming today, especially the Sunday after Easter." I unlocked the doors, turned on all the lights, checked the thermostats, and sprayed some air freshner in the foyer which always seems necessary on Sunday mornings for some reason. I pray for the morning as I do these things.

On this particular day a band of local college students lead the music. The stage with their instruments and mics was prepared the night before. I made sure Media Shout with lyrics and sermon slides was ready on the sanctuary computer. They arrived at 9:30 to rehearse before the service. As usual they were in jeans, their shirts were untucked, and they were just happy to be serving the Lord.

Our members began arriving at that time and making their way to Sunday School. They were smiling even though the wind pushed them rudely through the doors. I learned our Sunday School Director wouldn't be there due to sickness, again. Minutes later I saw that there wouldn't be anyone in the college and career class which my wife and I started a couple of months ago. Everything was quiet for the next hour except for the band. I sat at my desk and went over my sermon without much concentration.

At 10:30am I began greeting people for the morning service which begins at 10:45. I could tell right away the service would be low. Our part-time student pastor, another local college student in jeans and an untucked shirt, opened the service with announcements about youth camp and the youth mission trip. I really appreciate this guy. I slipped into KIDS Church to tell the children how good they were in the service on Easter and that I was proud of them. I came back to the service in time for the "Welcome" and met our one guest, an older woman, who had just arrived with a member.

The band played four worship songs: Blessed Is the Name of the Lord, Jesus Paid it All, and two songs no one had ever heard before. If I could have my choice of worship style, this would be it: guitars, a drum-box, and a mandilin. However, since we didn't know two of the songs it felt like they sang two specials in addition to the planned special, "Glorious Day." The leader had an incredible voice but he appeared to be singing for us instead of with us. I still felt like I could worship but I was also concerned what the congregation was thinking. I remembered that I forgot to pray with the band before the service.

I began preaching ten minutes after the hour. On a typical Sunday a man in the congregation will read the Scriptures before I pray but not on this Sunday. I prayed when I came to the podium (a music stand) and started into the message with these words: "Today's passage in Philippians brings us face to face with a problem. It is one of the most disheartening problems pastor's face. It is one of the most damaging problems to our relationships. And it is one of the most common problems in churches. It sours fellowship, spoils unity, stunts growth, undermines worship, and poisons witness."

The message was on unresolved personal conflict and how to conquer it before it conquers us. The passage was Philippians 4:2-3. I felt comfortable as I preached. I didn't feel too dependent on my notes which amounted to five 8x5 inch typed pages. I felt that I preached with passion, directness, and love. I kept moving so as not to spend too much time on one point. I think I kept from overly repeating myself like I tend to do. I believe the Holy Spirit helped me speak clearly and appropriately for the subject. I finished later than I wanted to, ten to noon, but I was confident that the Lord was leading.

I am still not comfortable with the "invitation time." Honestly, I don't know how to end a sermon after I've prayed. I know the expectations are to have a traditional altar call and invite people down front to make a decision. But I expect everyone to respond in their hearts right where they are. Typically I call this "the time of response". I offer to pray with anyone down front and sing the "response song" with the congregation. I did this on Sunday and then came the traditional offering with the passing of the plates and I dismissed the service while the band played a tune.

The people left the sanctuary out of four doors; some to the nursery, some to the foyer, and some to the parking lot. There was some fellowship but nothing extraordinary. One person told me the sermon was convicting for him. I wished as many as I could a restful afternoon and helped close up the building while the band gathered their equipment. My wife and I invited our student pastor and his fiance over for lunch after the service: waffles.

So, how was church?
It was all together ordinary. My mind was simultaneously on the sufficiency of God's Word, the power of the Holy Spirit, the privilege of pastoring AND the fact that attendance was down, we are in need of a treasurer and a part-time worship pastor, and a host of minor things of little consequence to the Kingdom.

My mind could have been more focused and free of details. My heart could have been more expectant and faith-filled. My soul could have been more heavenward and caught-up in the glory of the Lord and His work. My knees could have been more worn from prayer.

At the same time, though, God was with us. His Word never returns to Him void. Everyone was there who God providentially intended to be there. It was a good morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment