Thursday, April 30, 2009

Time and Guilt

As a pastor, I find myself torn between balancing my time in several areas: study, visitation, meetings, community involvement, and family. When I evaluate the amount of time I spend in each of these areas, I inevitably feel like I have failed. If I studied more, the message would have been better; if I would have made that visit, it would have made a difference; if I didn't have so many meetings and events to attend, my family life would be so much better. The cycle repeats week-in and week-out. Seeking to prioritize the time I spend in each area becomes laborious and overwhelming as well.

I cannot accomplish all the tasks that I desire to do, let alone all the tasks that well meaning and loving congregants desire me to do. I find myself spending fewer nights with my family, and feeling guilty about both ministry and family.

How do I respond to this guilt?

What gain has the worker from his toil? . . . I perceived that there is nothing better for them than to be joyful and to do good as long as they live. - Solomon (Ecc 3:9,12)


The Word of God reminds me that I am to find my joy in Him. I am not a slave to the tyranny of unrealistic expectations (either mine, or my congregation's). I must remind myself that I am to love God, love my family, and love His church. In doing these things, I find joy and do good.

I am an ordinary pastor. Ordinary means I don't always meet the expectations of others in my management of time, but ordinary means I don't have to feel guilty.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for joining the blog, for being real, and for reminding us to find our joy in God. In regards to the family, Lutzer writes:

    "The pastor often feels as if he has many bosses. But keeping all of them happy will drive him to ignore the feelings of those he loves dearly - those who will, at least for a time, put up with neglect. To reinforce our conviction that the family is more important than the congregation, each of us ought to make some hard, deliberate choices in our families' favor." (Pastor to Pastor, pg. 103)

    ReplyDelete