Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Please arrive 30 minutes early

I visited a church website the other day and found this helpful advice under the list of service times: Please arrive 30 minutes early to ensure yourself a seat. I wasn't surprised by it. After all, even I was lining up to download a sermon.

But it did make me pause. "What would it be like," I found myself thinking, "to pastor a church where five weekend services aren't even enough to ensure everyone a seat?" Congregants saving seats half an hour early? Standing room only? I can imagine the buzz in the air and the sense of expectation.

I've experienced it. I attended the Shepherd's Conference at Grace Communinity Church where John MacArthur pastors. The evening sessions were open to the public. I was anxious to arrive early so I wouldn't have to watch from the gymnasium. People were always lined up at every door to ensure themselves a seat in the enormous sanctuary.

In the late 90's, the church where I eventually served as an associate pastor, had standing room only. Three morning services still couldn't accomodate the number of people who wanted to attend. The sanctuary wasn't comfortable, but it was exciting. I dreamed of getting on the staff of this church and it happened.

Fast forward. I'm pastoring a church now and this past Easter Sunday we could have easily seated 3x as many people. On some Sundays the empty seats seem to shout, "Where is everybody?" It's the anti-buzz affect.

It is your ordinary church. It had standing-room-only services in the past. It was once the buzz of the town. That's why it built this new sanctuary that today we don't even begin to fill. There is a church down the road that moved into a brand new facility last year ("phase one") and they are already contemplating a third service. My church has been there, but not now.

What is it that makes me pause and wonder what it would be like to have a church where you have to come 30 minutes early to get a seat? Envy. Discontentment. Self-pity. Pride. All the evil vices that you think you've conquered but you really haven't.

What do you do about it?

For one, love where God has placed you. If you believe He is sovereign in all things then remember that God has sovereignly placed you where you are. He wants you there or you you wouldn't be there. Don't just accept it, love it. God placed you right where He wanted you, no mistake. Choose to be content and to happily serve, trusting to God's sovereign purposes. Repent of being discontent and unbelieving. That's the main thing, I think.

For another thing, think through it rationally. Some pastors really do have incredible giftedness and you enjoy their sermons, too. Some churches, like the one that started this whole thought-process, are located in the middle of metro-plexes of millions. Some churches go through seasons like this and they are truly a blessing but that doesn't mean it will always be like that. Besides, crowds are not necessarily a sign of fruitfulness or blessing. Faithfulness isn't measured by numbers in the pew.

Finally, get some perspective. While describing my church to an old friend on Facebook I was suddenly struck by what a blessing my congregation is. He is a missionary in France. Any ordinary pastor in France would love to have what most ordinary pastors in America have. Then I remember my friends in Bosnia and their little church of fifteen to twenty in a city of over a 100,000. There are churches today in New York City praying for just as many to show up at their Easter services. Biographies help me get perspective.

Okay, so now I'm looking ahead to this coming Sunday. What am I praying for? God, bless your church in every city around the world. Transform your church that gathers here. Bring here those you are sovereignly drawing to yourself. Cause your Name to be proclaimed and praised here; from the heart and not just the lips. Fill us with your Spirit. Fill us with faith. Work in us to work and to will for Your good pleasure. Keep me faithful. Keep me joyful.

Come early, Lord. Stay late.

No comments:

Post a Comment