Sunday, April 26, 2009

Pastors can't always choose

Pastors have preferences like everyone else. Take church music for example, one of the most opinionated subjects in modern Christianity.

I for one really enjoy the sound of an acoustic guitar and wouldn't mind a guitar-led worship service, so long as the guitarist is really trained in both music and leading congregational singing. I like the piano, but I would prefer additional acoustic instruments for a richer sound.

I appreciate solos and other so-called "specials", but I would rather sing and hear the voices of the congregation singing all around me. I don't want to sing songs that just show-case the talents of the musicians or singers, but songs that invite everyone's involvement. That means it can't be so loud that the music drowns out the congregation.

I don't need a choir every Sunday, a praise team or a single leader fits me just fine. And I don't mind if the praise leaders are expressive (raised hands, spontaneous praises) so long as they are considerate of others and aren't distracting to me, which is a very subjective thing to say.

I don't particularly care for old-time gospel music written in the 50's like you might here from Gaither. I wish they would rename that whole genre and preserve the term "gospel music" for actual gospel-saturated, cross-centered music.

I happen to like historic hymns of the faith and also many of the contemporary songs written for worship today, so I really want to sing a mixture of the best of both. I want to sing, "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" by Luther and "Your Grace is Enough" by Tomlin provided the songs flow and have substance.

I prefer less talking between songs, in fact, I don't need any transitional, explainational, introductory or devotional statements or stories during the singing. Sometimes it is truly helpful, but I would prefer a prayer or Scripture reading instead. At the very least, I like talking kept to a minimum.

I would rather the lights be up during a worship service. If I were at a concert or watching a movie or listening to an entertainer, then by all means lower the lights, but I don't need the lights lowered to make me feel more intimate with God. I want to know I am with the people of God. The only exception to this is if the meeting room dwarfs the congregation. In that case, I like the lights lowered to make the room feel less empty.
So those are some of my opinions about church music. They are my preferences and I feel like I can justify them. I'm also certain there is a church somewhere within driving distance that fits my preferences, at least initially. But, unlike most Christians in America, I can't choose to go to that church. When it comes to our own preferences, pastors can't always choose what they want.

Here's some of my thoughts why:

Pastors have to think about the whole church body, not just themselves. We are shepherds after all, and the needs of the flock come before our own wants. I don't mean to say people's preferences come before our preferences. I mean people come before our preferences. People with varying, sometimes divergent, opinions go to my church. There is no way in the world I can please them all or throw their perspective out the door. As a pastor I have to think about them all, not just a few. Somehow pastors have to strive for a God-glorifying balance, a median.

Also, pastors have to take what they have and gratefully use it as best as they can. Small churches don't have the options larger churches have. You can only do musically what your people are capable of. You can only employ the people and purchase the equipment you have the budget for. You have to nuture and mentor both the under-trained and the immature.

And, if pastors don't like something about the music or other aspect of the ministry, they can't leave to find what they like somewhere else. Of all the people in America, only pastors can't leave over their preferences. Well, they can but then they wouldn't be good shepherds. No, pastors must have tremendous patience, a willingness to wait on God and on their preferences.

Sometimes I envy the person who can just pick and choose their church, but not for long. I don't think they have the right perspective. Soon they'll be looking again. Church is not the sum-total of our preferences. It is much more. Heaven knows how much more. What about God's preferences anyway? Now, that's a good question.

No comments:

Post a Comment