Monday, April 13, 2009

Most of us are

"Most of us - let us be frank - are ordinary pastors." D.A. Carson

Two thoughts come to my mind when I think of being an ordinary pastor. The first thought tends to be negative: I'm just ordinary. When you think of someone's attractive qualities, "ordinary" is not high on the list. Ordinary is plain, boring, and unimpressive. Ordinary is bad. Who wants to be an ordinary pastor?

No one, if they're honest.

Unless, and here's the second thought that comes to my mind, ordinary is good.

What if ordinary means faithfully being who you are and what God appointed you to be? What if ordinary means not drawing attention to yourself so it can be directed where it ought to be, say on God's glory and grace? What if ordinary means the struggles you are facing are not unique and so you're not alone? What if ordinary means being humble and meek?

Then, who wants to be an ordinary pastor?

I do.

I am an ordinary pastor, wrestling daily to love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment